The goal of the GSC Sustainability Fund is to educate and to engage graduate students in environmentally sustainable living practices. The sustainability fund was introduced to provide grants to graduate students and groups who are keen to champion an activity or lead an action that directly aids towards making the MIT campus clean, environmentally benign and resource efficient. Both student groups and individuals can apply for events or activities aimed at campus sustainability initiatives.
Event planners who strive to minimize their events’ environmental impact (for example zero-waste events or events where local produce is highlighted) are also strongly encouraged to apply for the GSC Sustainability Fund.
- Registration with the GSC Sustainability Team
- Any event applying for the GSC Sustainability Fund must email email@example.com to inform the GSC Sustainability Team of the event details. The GSC Sustainability Team will provide you with a Green Event Guide, which outlines the ways in which you can minimize your event’s impact on the environment. All events funded by the GSC Sustainability Fund will be announced on the GSC Sustainability webpage.
- Eduation and Accountability
- Any event applying for the GSC Sustainability Fund must include an educational component on environmental sustainability.
- Minimum requirements for education include:
- Signage (including clear labels on compost/recycling/trash)
- Announcements during the event
- Minimum requirements for accountability include:
- Completing the Sustainability Fund Accountability Report
- Planning a Green event
- Exceptional applicants for the GSC Sustainability Fund will include more than the minimum requirements for sustainability education and accountability. Applicants should keep environmental responsibility in mind when organizing their events. For tips and guidance, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Purchasing compostable plates, cups and cutlery
- The sustainability committee recommends that student groups purchase compostable materials at discounted rates through the UA sustainability committee. The UA Sustainability compostables order form is here. Bulk orders for compostable foodware can be placed here. The sustainability award committee will not allocate funding for compostable materials at prices higher than those listed on these order forms.
- Funding Guidelines
- Event Publicity Guidelines