GSC’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee (DEI) works to encourage diversity, achieve equity, and foster inclusion for all MIT community members regardless of their identity (e.g. race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, marital status, pregnancy, religion, ability, age, genetic information, veteran status, ancestry, national or ethnic origin, employment status, immigration status, or socioeconomic status). It shall also critically consider intersections among these groups to facilitate learning, understanding, and unity.
- Collectively amplify the voices of, and advocate for, underrepresented groups in higher education so that every graduate student has the full opportunity to thrive at MIT
- Promote awareness, engagement, and community building around diverse experiences
- Keep the GSC, MIT departments and administration accountable to improving the recruitment, retention and degree completion of underrepresented groups via institutional level change
- Department and Classroom Inclusion (DCI)
- Peer-to-peer development initiative aimed at establishing Department Representatives, or conduits, among all graduate departments and programs.
- Student Life (SL)
- Community based initiative aimed at establishing Constituency Representatives, or c-reps, among underrepresented identity groups.
2021-2022 GSC DEI Family:
Committee Officers Board
- Chair: Kayla Storme (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Vice-Chair DCI: Miguel Alcantar (email@example.com)
- Vice-Chair Student Life: Rachel Szabo (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Secretary: Andrei Iliescu (email@example.com)
- Treasurer: Open (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Constituency Representatives (C-Reps)
- Women (gwaMIT): Garima Sharma (email@example.com)
- Underrepresented Minorities (URMs): Open (LGSA) & Open (BGSA) (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- LGBTQIA+: Jack Forman (email@example.com)
- First Generation: Open (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Disabilities: Leticia Mattos Da Silva (email@example.com)
- International: Tan Zhi-Xuan (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Religious Life: Open (email@example.com)
* Meet the newest cohort of DEI Fellows here
Projects and Programs
Graduate Enrolled Student Survey Data Request Form
The GSC-DEI Committee works with MIT’s Institutional Research office to make data from the Graduate Enrolled Student Survey available at the departmental level. We connect graduate student groups to MIT survey data and gather graduate student input to improve surveys. We also conduct our own research through interviews and town hall meetings to collect graduate student experiences and stories that might not be captured in surveys. Our goal is to advance data-informed and student-led dialogue and action within departments around issues of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
TO REQUEST DATA, please fill out the Survey Data Request Form.
If you have any questions about the request form or process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to Get Involved
Sign up to the DEI mailing list: email@example.com here!
For any general questions regarding DEI or how to get involved, please contact us at gsc-diversity__@__mit.edu