The External Affairs Board coordinates the external affairs and activities of the GSC, including relationships with organizations outside MIT; political advocacy at all levels of government; community outreach, education, and service; and statements of the positions of the GSC or the graduate student body on issues of significance to the welfare of graduate students at MIT.
The Board has 6 subcommittees:
- Subcommittee on Federal Affairs – Responsible for all communications, collaboration, and advocacy with the federal government of the United States
- Subcommittee on State and Local Affairs – Responsible for all communications, collaboration, and advocacy with state and local governments
- Subcommittee on External Affairs Events – Plans and carries out events for MIT students to increase civic engagement, awareness of political developments relevant to graduate students, and understanding of political or policy-focused career paths
- Subcommittee of the University Liaison – Responsible for all communications, collaboration, and actions with other graduate student governments and related associations
- Subcommittee on Public Outreach – Responsible for activities to communicate the public benefits of science, especially to Americans without scientific training.
- Subcommittee on Development – Responsible for developing new advocacy methods and opportunities, document and evaluate established advocacy methods and opportunities, and to engage with all kinds of policy stakeholders in these tasks.
Read about the Board’s accomplishments for 2016-17 in the Annual Report!
Special Note for International Students: If you are an international student and want to contribute to our political advocacy work, come to our External Affairs meetings! International students are allowed to communicate with US officials and join political advocacy efforts. If you need to solve an individual visa or work authorization problem, contact the MIT International Students Office (ISO).
The Board is led by Chair Katie Shulenberger and Vice-Chair Chloe Morgan. For a full list of all board members, click here.
GSC Positions & Statements
Have Suggestions to Improve the Board?
Upcoming Events and Activities
Join Us Today!
Sign up for our email list or contact us at email@example.com.